Once you have decided on an ERP solution and provider you will need to work out an ERP implementation project plan so:
- Who is driving this project?
- Timescales and Milestones?
- What changes do you need to make to your business processes?
- Can some of these changes be made before ERP implementation or does the ERP system need to be in place to facilitate the changes?
- Can the new ERP software be implemented in stages?
- If you are moving from an existing ERP or accounting system, how are you going to handle ‘data migration‘?
- What data do you really need to migrate – can historic data remain on the old accounting system and still be accessible?
- Do you need a ‘parallel run’ before going live with the new ERP software package?
- Staff will need training on the new software – who and when?
It is vitally important to remember that in addition to the ERP implementation project plan, you will need a staff training plan which supports the implementation – train too early and the staff will have forgotten what they have learned before you go live with the new system, too late and you’re in for a bumpy ride!